Jeromy Anglim's Blog: Psychology and Statistics


Monday, October 5, 2009

My Software Setup

This post sets out the software that I am currently using.

Statistics:
  • R (Free):
  • Eclipse with StatET (Free): This is the user interface that I use for R. I also have copies of Tinn-R and JGR that I don't use.
  • G Power 3 (Free): User-friendly power analysis software.
  • SPSS and Amos: I try to do all analyses in R but most researchers that I consult  use SPSS.
  • I have, but rarely use, MLWin for multilevel models (I prefer R); and UciNet for social network analysis (I prefer R).
Research related:
  • Publish or Perish (free): Anne-Wil Harzing's software for acessing Google Scholar and doing bibliometric research
  • Visual Studio.Net: I use VB.net to program some of my experiments.
  • Inquisit : Inquisit is great way to run online experiments particularly if you want 
  • Endnote 12: References manager.
  • Notepad++: I use this to edit some text files.
Productivity:
  • MS Office 2007: 
  • Adobe Acrobat Professional
  • Cute PDF (Free): A free PDF maker.
Viewers:
  • Google Chrome (Free): I mainly use Google Chrome.
  • Firefox (Free): For the occasional site that does not work with Google Chrome, I have Firefox.
  • Faststone Image Viewer (Free): A good image viewer program. It also has features for batch conversion.
Assorted:
  • UltraMon: I run a dual monitor setup. This software is well worth the small cost.
  • Jing (Free for basic version): Maria H. Andersen from Teaching College Math put me on to this. I use it to get screen captures.
  • Freemind (Free): Mind mapping software.
  • Gimp (Free): I use this for image manipulation.
  • WinKey (Free): A program for creating short cut keys.
  • WinRAR: For working with zip and other compressed files.
  • K-lite codec pack (Free): To ensure that videos and audio files work
Audio:
  • Audacity (Free): Open source audio editing program
  • CDex (Free):
  • Winamp (Free):
  • Itunes (Free): 
Internet Software: